Monday, April 6, 2015

DIY Lily Pipe Magnet Cleaner

 I've been using flexible brush (Marina cleaning brush) to clean my lily pipe but every time it always give me a fright of breaking the glass. The brush is not flexible enough especially around the corner. I come up with an idea of using magnet to clean the inner lily pipe. It is not new idea, I saw people DIY magnet glass cleaner using 2 magnets and wrap one of them with filter wool. Using the same idea by wrapping small metal, small enough to fit inside lily pipe, with filter wool and use magnet to move it around.

What you need:
Ball bearing, filter wool and strong magnet. I use about 5mm diameter ball bearing. Ball bearing size can be different depending on you lily pipe inner diameter. I got the strong magnet from broken 3.5" hard drive.

Slice the filter wool. I cannot use the whole wool because it is too thick, cannot fit the tube.

Wrap the ball bearing with filter wool

Tie it and cut away the excess and that about it.
 

Test run, cleaning curve section of lily pipe

and cleaning straight section of lily pipe

1 comment:

  1. This is very interesting. Thanks for sharing it I really love learning new stuff :)

    ReplyDelete